About this blog

This blog examines current ideas on alternative treatments for Crohn's disease. Although the medical community will tell you that diet doesn't matter, or that alternative treatments are worthless for treating Crohn's disease, this is only because there hasn't been as much double blind clinical testing for most alternative treatments. Therefore they cannot with certainty offer them to you. But, the truth is, many treatments can have an effect on Crohn's disease, or at least improve your general health. We attempt to examine them here.


Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Metagenics SPM Active: What a Pain in the Gut

Late this spring, I was experimenting with a new supplement called Metagenics SPM Active. My understanding is that this is a partition of fish oil that helps resolve inflammation in the body. The idea is that the body produces substances to reduce and resolve inflammation when it is no longer needed, but with long term illnesses, the body cannot keep up with the need for these substances, and inflammation becomes chronic, like in autoimmune disorders.

So this product is actually supplying a needed nutrient that the body is lacking if it is in that state. Sounds great, right? How could that cause die-off or detoxification reactions?

Well, I started out at a high dose, thinking that it could only make me feel better, not worse, right? After a few weeks of it I had a little bit of increased symptoms, so I backed down to one third the dose. But then toward the end of May, I started having incredibly bad stomach pain, so bad I thought sure I needed to go to the hospital. I stopped taking the product. These events would last several hours, or a whole day, and then be gone. But then I would also have other signs of die-off/detoxification like body pain and digestive symptoms. This went on for the next three months, gradually lessening over time.

I even went to see my gastroenterologist to make sure that I didn't have gallstones and to get her thoughts on the situation. She diagnosed gastritis, after an ultrasound showed no stones, and prescribed an acid blocking medicine. I have not taken this.

No comments:

Post a Comment